Monday 13 January 2014

I've been pondering cycling to work for a while. But rather than going all-in and bringing my own bike down on the train (with all the logistics that'll entail), I thought I'd make use of the Barclays/TFL rental bikes (aka Boris Bikes).
This morning, togged up in hi-viz jacket and helmet, I gave it a first try. 

As the Hand of Boris doesn't reach as far West as my digs (at least as far as his bikes are concerned), I tubed in as far as Hyde Park (Queensway for them as is curious) and booked out a bike from Black Lion gate.

The route was lovely: through Hyde Park, down to Hyde Park Corner, under the Welliebob memorial arch, up Constitution Hill, wave to the Queen as I passed her humble abode, across (yes, actually across) Horse guards Parade, then along Victoria Embankment into the City.
Proper tourist stuff. I even took proper tourist photos, which I'll post in a bit.

As I rode, I made some observations about the bikes:

  • They weigh a ton. 
  • There are only three gears. 
  • Jumping one off a 6" curb is how you find out what "bone-jarring" actually means. There's no way I'm going to try bumping one UP a kerb. 
  • The gears are Sturmey-Archer type, not dérailleur. Don't expect to pedal slower/faster without first stopping pedalling. And there are only 3 of them. 
  • There is no crossbar. This means that when you stop (in the middle of Hyde Park, with lots of people to see) and try to clasp the bike between your legs to keep it upright as you do with your own bike, you will in fact be clasping thin air and will be left standing with your knees knocking together and a bike around your ankles. 
  • First gear is really low, and is presumably there for if you take it up to Yorkshire where we have REAL hills. 
  • They are invisible to pedestrians. Also, whilst the bell works for some pedestrians, it is inaudible to ones with cameras. 
  • The number of the gears shall be three. 
  • They really do weigh a ton. 
  • Thou shalt not have a fourth gear. Fifth is right out. 
  • These things are so heavy that going up the slightest incline is a serious workout. THIS is why first gear is so low. 

Still, I actually really enjoyed it, and was looking forward to the return journey.
But then it hailed. And the tube is far, far drier.

No comments:

Post a Comment